Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Internets

I received a call from someone in Switzerland who is reading my blog the other day (its okay, I know her), so this is now a trinational blog. Get it Right.
We just had our first intercontinental interconnect between students from my JHS and kids from a school in the US! Hooray! Fortunately, everything went off (relatively) smoothly. With some help from one Chris Massie, and a surprise appearance by another Bryan Dodd, we got 16 kids set up with some email accounts, and face-to-face time with some American students. Not too shabby for leaving the town at 12 noon and arriving at 6:30.
During the ride after the Skyping event back to the village (one student said he doesn't live in a village, he lives in a 'community'! Hilarious), I'm spacing out because the engine is loud and all my students are singing songs. Thats what they do after something fun: they clap and sing and have a good time; we could learn from them. Anyway, after some Ewe songs and a few improvised verses (part of the singing), I hear the following gem:
Mister Mike,
We love you so,
and when you go,
remember us!
(repeat and sing with clapping and rhythms)
There were also songs in English and Ewe, but with the rhythm its hard to hear what exactly is audibly coherent versus jibberjabber.
Good News is that I think everyone had a lot of fun, learned, and it was a 'character building experience'. Bad News is that some people in my school feel left out about not going. Too bad for them. Additionally, I'm back to teaching math recreationally (and almost like its my job!) for the boys and girls, and thankfully the social studies department is in abeyance. Yahoo. Which incidentally is everyone's new email host. And since the pupils have unique names (Approx. Ex. Komla Caeser, Osei Shine, etc.) everyone's address is like unique.newyork at yahoo.com. No Numbers, Just Letters.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Mr. Mike! Clearly you ARE making a difference!

    ReplyDelete