Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Small Differences

Because I seem to have an excess of disposable time, I'm trying to find things besides school (we are on term break) to do.
Exhibit A: I finally took some pictures of some people and places in the bush/farm, so you all can see the habitat. This is not the same brushland found on African safari shows, but its a low level jungle.
Exhibit B: Doing math problems from a GRE study book to keep my mind sharp.
Exhibit C: Finding pleasure in the mundane tasks of cleaning and washing. I know this may seem like an oxymoronic statement, but its the simple things that give us pleasure.
The average size of the Ghanaian is much smaller than the average American, and the little things in Ghanaian society, or should I say architecture, reflect this size paradigm. People in my village are about 5'8 at the most; consequently, architecture such as doorways, vendors' roofs, and hanging objects all hang much lower; ergo, I have to stoop when entering into most rooms and when I buy from the market (you only hit your head once, unless you've had some small small amount of the local gin, in which case behavioral learning is disabled). Walking in my regional capital/market town, Ho () can be hazardous because of low hanging tin roofs and also because of open sewers (not a wise idea to fall into).
Other byproducts of local stature and economics: legroom in trotros is severely lacking (to compensate, imagine riding sidesaddle all the way to your destination!); the backseats of taxis fit 4 people, "comfortably" (even the front seat can fit two people, should you be so inclined to try); personal space is an option on my Metrobus (charterbus) to the regional capital (but privelage is revoked when the number of people is more than twice the capacity of bus seats); even beds are, on average, too short for myself. Am I a giant? Perhaps.
Picture of the week: chickens, in a tree!


Last week's math question: I am 24. When will be the next time my age is the sum of two prime numbers AND also a prime number? Answer: 31 (29+2=31 and 31 is prime)
Trivia: What is the only flag in the world that is not a geometric shape?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, *my* year is the sum sum of *five* consecutive primes!

    53=5+7+11+13+17

    And this year is the sum of *eleven*:

    2011=157+163+167+173+179+181+191+193+197+199+211

    Quiz: how old will you be in the next year that is the sum of consecutive primes?

    (And to be fair, you've stumped me on the flag question -- though I protest ambiguity on the term "geometric shape", since *any* closed shape can be termed "geometric"... did you mean "edge formed with straight lines"?)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_geometric_shapes

    ReplyDelete