Monday, April 11, 2011

Prices of Cheap, Cheap items

Hello! As you may know, Ghana is a country in Africa that is currently listed as 'underdevolped', but within the next 5 years it should be upgraded to 'developing'. Let's examine some of the advantages associated where the cost of living is consequently low from lack of capital. The prices of items can be extremely cheap compared to the US, but on average I would say they are about 1/5 of US prices.
• A pineapple the size of your head can be bought for about 1 dollar
• The cost of going from Ho, my regional capital to Accra, the national capital costs as little as 5 dollars for a 3 hour ride (compare THAT to Greyhound)
• I bought a knife for 50 cents. Granted, I have someone sharpen it quite often.
• Three tomatoes in the US can go for a dollar, but here its about thirty tomatoes/dollar
• The third-worlds' favorite snack, Obama Biscuits, sells for 15 cents a pack (comes complete with Obama's face on every wrapper!)
• For a mere 7 dollars, a meal can be prepared to feed 6 people handsomely.
With clearout prices like these, its easy to spend next to nothing while here! Especially for you all coming to visit me, prepare to spend more on a plane ticket than you would in a month here! I'm in the village, and essentially the African bush for food perspectives: My rasta-friend brings me avocados gifts every other day or so (usually about 5, but this past time I now have 10 avocados to eat before they all go bad... hello calories!). Speaking of calories, people in my village make some comments like "Kofi! You are becoming large, Africa is good for you!" and "Yevuga" (translation = big white person): understandably, the lack of organized sports (except soccer with 12 year olds) has taken its intended victim, Me. To counteract this balance of power, I purloined some P90X workout videos from a friend to stay in shape. Updates on whether this will have an discernable effect will follow in the future.
I just had a wonderful day the other day: The day after school finished for the term, I went out to the bush at 6am with my rasta-friend. After collecting (and partaking in) some palm-wine, we ate some banku, and later some fufu. Being the middle of nowhere in the bush was incredibly relaxing (minus the bugs). Then we went and collected some avocadoes from an avocado tree, checked a trap for some grasscutter (alas, meat is in short supply sometimes), took a long nap, and finally helped smoke palm trees ("set fire to" means to blow with a small tube to create a sweet palm wine and give it flavor). Coming back, some students were in school when they espied my body removing itself from the bushpath. "Sir! Sir! You've come from the bush!", and they started cheering for me. Good Times. All in all, it was the best day I've had in a long time; I spent exactly zero Ghana cedis and had a fulfilling day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, someone at the New York Times picked up on your Ghanaian funeral story!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/nyregion/12funerals.html

    ReplyDelete