Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Saviefe Gbogame

After being in my new village for about a week, there are a few things I can describe in great detail.
Time has minimal meaning to people in my village. Its a running joke among all Ghanaians (and Ewes, the people that speak Ewe and live in Volta Region) that if someone says "Etso", meaning tomorrow, said event will definitely not occur tomorrow. Example: I asked my landlord to have a carpenter come over to help refinish some chairs. "etso". Even after asking several times, tomorrow has not come yet.
My house has grown on me. My two rooms have been transformed into home after much purchasing in Ho, the regional capital of Volta Region and various additions like a mosquito net. I live with a retired gentleman who is around 75 years old, a mother around 35, and her three kids ranging from 2 to 10. I couldn't ask for a better first week. Except the money for our move in allowance still has not come through. Its only two weeks late, and 400 cedis that I could sure use now to buy essentials such as a stove or a phone (my last one got wet and was KIA).
So I think that I have been acclimatizing well with my fellow 400 villagers; I have been making a big effort to learn more Ewe so I can communicate with people, and can now generally buy items without speaking English. My day is usually as follows:
6 - wake up
8 - take a bus to Ho and buy stuff
1 - take a bus back from Ho to my town
3 - putter around and reflect on shopping goodies for the day
6 - eat
9 - sleep
repeat

Ive also decided that after two years here in Ghana, going back to the US will be weird. My mannerisms and way of speaking is already changing, but so is my appreciation for just sitting outside for hours on end.

If you want to see exactly where I live, I am trying to do it on Google Maps, but for now I can roughly describe it as between Anfoeta and Dzolokpuita in Volta Region Northwest of Ho about 12 miles. Here are my exact Earth Coordinates
6.767665, 0.40761

Mia do go!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the coordinates. That helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here it is already on the map! Just click the link:

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=108461838108085371237.00048e8061de2f07bca9d&ll=6.766511,0.407401&spn=0.01905,0.033088&t=e&z=15&ecpose=6.76839032,0.40448591,4395.77,-0.001,0.533,0

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to be able to see where you are on the map, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Maps!
    We are all so proud of you. I love to read about your adventures. Love you

    ReplyDelete