Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vision Quest

This past weekend I went on a vision quest of sorts to visit a current volunteer's site and see how they live day to day. Dispatched to the Central region (which is actually on the beach) I had a blast. Went to a secluded beach for a day trip, watched my host teach a class, and ate some bushmeat (antelope) and rice. The trip to my host's site interesting because we passed a road that warned drivers...
"WARNING: 32 people killed here"
but the drivers still absolutely fly on that baby. Also the road divider is more of a guideline than a rule, so hurtling 70 miles an hour in the wrong lane when another tro is coming 70 miles an hour head-on... wow, its best just to ignore the obvious danger and put on a tune.
I went to Cape Coast for a day, and was extremely surprised to see other white people there that were not with Peace Corps. I said hello to one person, and after that person didn't even look at me I realized it was a futile effort.
During my ride back to Kukurantumi I was waiting for a tro to leave (tro-tros are the dominant form of transportation here, see earlier posts) a preacher came onto our tro and everyone in the tro stopped whatever else they were doing and we listened to a good 20 minutes of prayer and praising Jesus. All in a language I didn't understand, so I pretended not to speak any Twi and ate Mystery Meat Pie from some street vendor. Going to see another volunteer at their site was a great experience: I could see how he interacted with the local population and daily life. I cannot wait to go to my site in Volta.
Onto to other good news, I am not always called obroni when I walk past people. Most people who I talk to call me 'Kofi Mike'; Kofi is my name day because I was born on Friday.
Finally, I describe myself as very adventurous recently (the past year or two), and traveling around Ghana alone was exhilarating - until I found myself crammed in the back of a tro where in order to not receive a concussion you must hunch over your seat and lost nearly all feeling in your lower extremities while riding along on the most pot-holed dirt road you can think of. At that point I realized I don't like traveling in a tro.
Last part of the post will be dedicated to random facts and information:
The Ghana-Uruguay match was insane. Never seen people so happy after we scored the first goal.
Electricity is only sometimes an option.
Running water is almost never an option.
Local women have mastered urinating while standing...

No comments:

Post a Comment