Friday, July 30, 2010

Site Visit

Ahaa! I have successfully returned from my site visit! The counterpart teacher I will be working with while in Ghana is fairly young (23), my headmaster seems like a responsible and supportive person, and my town (village, rather) is amazing. At 400 people strong, its pretty tiny - we have one lady that runs a store in a closet-esque space, and one other lady that sells Waakye (pronounced wah-chee). Thats it. Everyone in my town farms for a living and goes into Ho, our regional capital, for market days and to purchase anything required. A few notes about Saviefe-Gbogame:
There are two forms of transportation to my site on a dirt road; one is by motorcycle and the other is a large Metrobus (think charter bus). However PC will not let me ride a moto, and the bus makes one pass in the morning heading into town and one pass in the afternoon coming back to town. Thats about it for getting in and out. So sunday, the bus didnt run and I needed to leave. So I walked an hour to our nearest paved road, waited another 45 minutes for a taxi to come by and take me to Ho. Overall, 20 kilometers took nearly 2 and a half hours to accomplish.
My living arrangement is two rooms in a compound in the village, so I live with a few other people there, but furniture is quite nice.
My school is exactly what I expected - no electricity, no running water, and built by local villagers 25 years ago.
But, Good News! I have electricity in my house! Now I can read at night
So I'm back at training right now, and I'm about ready for it to be over. I just want to go to my site and begin what I set out to do - teach, learn, and integrate into the local culture of Ghana.

2 comments:

  1. Great news about the electricity, but I'm sad my solar light won't be useful. Feel free to donate it to the less wired in the community!

    Something tells me our next visit to the Ghana Restaurant in DC, you'll be quite different when ordering from the menu -- perhaps not even use English, just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, and I'm assuming this means you don't have a mailing address for my holiday card this year?

    ReplyDelete