Tuesday, December 13, 2011

No Updates? Here's One

No real updates in a while? Tired of not knowing how your son/brother/nephew/friend/acquaintance is managing? It's time to remedy the situation!
Harmattan has started, so nights are cool (maybe lows around 65) and daytime highs approaching 80, though the air is super-dry. The sun sometimes is visible not as a bright blob in the sky, but as generally bright section of the sky - sometimes its impossible to even tell where the sun is. Why? Because trade winds blow dust from a part of the Sahara desert over West Africa, instead of the normal monsoon-esque route from the ocean. A soon-to-not-be-so-thin layer of dust has covered all unprotected things, so I've had a student come to clean my house a few times (not as slave labor - I'm helping him pay some school fees). I went to the north (Tamale) for Thanksgiving, which 1) is far 2) is costly and 3) I had a good time.
Let's see what other random updates are happening:
I. I just found out there is a gym complete with concrete weights not even thirty feet from my bedroom - I just never thought to go to said secret area.
II. Exams have started for school, so I'm busy catching students cheating on tests (seizure count = 3). I make them come and do work for me at the house too.
III. Been trying to get some exercise, at least an hour a day... knowing that a gym is available to use (though it only has 3 weights) may help.
IV. I went to Kpando to help a friend out with a football tournament to educate people about HIV/AIDS - it was a great success! Though my part was small, and I mostly stood around looking intimidating and telling kids to be quiet and go away.
V. My normal routine is = wake up, coffee, school, exercise, eat, sit by the road and talk to people, read, sleep
VI. PALM WINE SEASON IS HERE! So a special friend is bringing me sweet delicious delectable palm wine nearly everyday.
VII. Speaking of adventures, I've been going with my rasta-friend out to people farm's to eat and drink some fresh palmie (palm wine).
VIII. Days in Africa = 554
IX. Days left in Ghana = 241
X. Average number of bananas eaten in a given day: ~6
XI. Number of days each week I eat bananas with beans, red oil, and peppers (aka redred): 5
XII. Number of days I wish I was eating something besides redred since I've been in Ghana: 0
XIII. Amount of weight my friend claims to have gained from being in the US for 2 weeks: 25 pounds
XIV. Books read to date: 100
XV. Approximate number of free akpoteshie shots offered to me on a given day: 2
XVI. Days since last malaria attack: 331

1 comment: