Friday, November 5, 2010

It's Friday!

Friday! But aren't I supposed to be teaching on Friday? You would be correct, on Fridays I do teach. So what am I doing in my regional capital Ho and not at school?
Oh, well our school has started athletics, and next Friday is our first outing. But our students can't come after school because most of them have to go and farm; so we hold practice from 5:15am until about 8:30am. Then the students go home and are supposed to bathe, change clothes, and come back to school.
Well, today being Friday all of the students that are playing on teams (more than half of the school) decided just to take the rest of the day off. Y'know, start the weekend early. School is supposed to start at 7:45, so I arrive at 7:30 every day, and by the time 10:00 had passed, they were only about 40% of students at the school. I should also mention that our school has 6 teachers and 1 headmaster, yet for most of the morning I was the ONLY teacher on the schoolgrounds, responsible for 40 mid-teenagers.
Some friends were coming to Ho today, and as such I spontaneously decided to come and meet them. I rode my bike to the nearest large town and caught a ride to the city.
I should mention that even though we are in a third-world country, and cars and generally crappy, some taxis CAN go fast. In fact, my one today topped out at around 135 km/hour (around 84 mph). This wouldnt bother me on a freeway, but Ghanaian roads have blind corners, not to mention we pass numerous small towns. We made it alive with 7 people in our taxi (people learn that personal space is only optional).
Next week, I have an In-Service Training with most of my friends in Education, so I am looking forward to that.
The things I miss most about the US is food.
Current Weight - 172 pounds (about 5 less than when I came here)
Number of canings witnessed - 100+
Average number of eggs eaten, per day - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment