Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Training

So I'm at staging in Philadelphia right now. Its a weird feeling getting to know all these people are in the same boat as I am. Theres no explaining exactly how we all feel about leaving for Ghana in two days, yet somehow we are all connected and realize our lives will change immensely. On a side note, I really was not (and am still not) nervous about leaving mentally or emotionally, but physically I have a huge knot in my stomach - eating, my favorite pastime, has become a challenge the past 48 hours. Eh, the feeling will pass.
Stagin so far has been pretty mild - they looked over all our forms and I am now an official Peace Corps Trainee! Score! Then a group of about 12 went out to eat and hang out... and I came to the realization that although I probably won't be seeing them every week after our training ends, I have something in common with every single person I've met besides being a future PC Volunteer - everyone has a demeanor that can only be described as outgoing, composed, and determined. Its pretty much a 180 degree shift from a lot of the people that I met in Vail (sure I met some good friends, but the overall impression out there was one of douchebagginess.
*if you don't know what that word means, look up douchebag on urban dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebag*

In summary, it seems like it will be easy to get to know my fellow trainees, but the real challenge still awaits us.... GHANA. I'm sure it will be epic.

1 comment: